ARM Based Microserver
Ambedded ARM microserver platform, measuring 4.4 x 6.6 cm, it is the smallest network server, fully equipped to manage the storage while directly connected to the net.
The Mars 400 appliance accommodates 8 microservers inside a 1U chassis. Each microserver owns its dedicated SoC, onboard memory, onboard flash disk, 2x2.5Gbps ethernet (connecting to 2 different in-chassis switches), dedicated disk drive. This microserver architecture allows Ceph user to assign any node as Ceph OSD, MON, or MDS. So you can deploy a high availability Ceph cluster in just 3 sets of Mars 400.
benefit of ARM microserver with ceph, offers smallest failure domain, dedicated hardware resource, 3x1U servers to deploy a ceph cluser, high OSD density and power saving 70%
Benefits on Arm-based MicroServer Mars 400
- Compare to traditional servers architecture which runs Multiple Ceph OSD daemons on a big node server, Ambedded Mars 400 Arm-based Microservers owns 5 significant benefits
- It offers the smallest failure domain to OSD level compared to the x86 centralized server platforms.
- All Ceph daemons own hardware resources to get a balanced workload, resulting in increased cluster performance and stability.
- Customers can use only 3x1U Mars 400 appliances to build a high-availability ceph cluster (or SUSE enterprise storage). Ambedded reduces the initial investment of building a ceph (or SUSE enterprise storage)with a minimum of 7~8 units x86 servers.
- The Ambedded Mars 400 consumes a maximum of 100 watts of power. It saves customers more than 60% of power utility consumed by the server compared to the same scale of the Ceph cluster powered by x86 servers.
- Under the power supply limitation on each rack, Mars 400 can accommodate 1.6 times of OSD compared to general x86 servers.
ARM server Specification
|Server Platform Specification|
|Each microserver node can be configured as independent Ceph monitor, OSD & MDS, RADOS, and iSCSI gateways|
|Power Supply||Dual redundant 300 Watts power supply unit|
- Mars 400 photo set
- 64 bit ARM microserver, Quad core with 1.2GHz
- Mars 400 arm servers with 8 microservers inside
- Mars 400 accommodates 2 sets of L2 switches, provides redundant uplink
- Each microserver has 1x dedicate disk drive, it can be HDD or SSD.
- Mars 400 ARM based microserver, a 1U slim server with redundant power supply.
- ARM based Microserver Mars 400
The Mars 400 accommodates 8 microservers inside a 1U chassis. Each microserver owns its dedicated SoC, onboard memory, onboard flash disk, 2x2.5Gbps ethernet, and dedicated disk drive. It provides dedicated hardware resources to all Ceph distributed storage daemons.
explain the the benefits of using arm microserver architecture on ceph storage, comparing to the traditional x86 server hardware.Download