ARM Based Microserver
Ambedded ARM microserver platform, measuring 4.4 x 6.6 cm, it is the smallest network server, fully equipped to manage the storage while directly connected to the net.
The Mars 400 appliance accommodates 8 microservers inside a 1U chassis. Each microserver owns its dedicated SoC, onboard memory, onboard flash disk, 2x2.5Gbps ethernet (connecting to 2 different in-chassis switches), dedicated disk drive. This microserver architecture allows Ceph user to assign any node as Ceph OSD, MON, or MDS. So you can deploy a high availability Ceph cluster in just 3 sets of Mars 400.
benefit of ARM microserver with ceph, offers smallest failure domain, dedicated hardware resource, 3x1U servers to deploy a ceph cluser, high OSD density and power saving 70%
Benefits on Arm-based MicroServer Mars 400
- Compare to traditional servers architecture which runs Multiple Ceph OSD daemons on a big node server, Ambedded Mars 400 Arm-based Microservers owns 5 significant benefits
- It offers the smallest failure domain to OSD level compared to the x86 centralized server platforms.
- All Ceph daemons own hardware resources to get a balanced workload, resulting in increased cluster performance and stability.
- Customers can use only 3x1U Mars 400 appliances to build a high-availability ceph cluster (or SUSE enterprise storage). Ambedded reduces the initial investment of building a ceph (or SUSE enterprise storage)with a minimum of 7~8 units x86 servers.
- The Ambedded Mars 400 consumes a maximum of 100 watts of power. It saves customers more than 60% of power utility consumed by the server compared to the same scale of the Ceph cluster powered by x86 servers.
- Under the power supply limitation on each rack, Mars 400 can accommodate 1.6 times of OSD compared to general x86 servers.
ARM server Specification
|Server Platform Specification|
|Each microserver node can be configured as independent Ceph monitor, OSD & MDS, RADOS, and iSCSI gateways|
|Power Supply||Dual redundant 300 Watts power supply unit|
- Mars 400 photo set
- 64 bit ARM microserver, Quad core with 1.2GHz
- Mars 400 arm servers with 8 microservers inside
- Mars 400 accommodates 2 sets of L2 switches, provides redundant uplink
- Each microserver has 1x dedicate disk drive, it can be HDD or SSD.
- Mars 400 ARM based microserver, a 1U slim server with redundant power supply.
- ARM based Microserver Mars 400
explain the the benefits of using arm microserver architecture on ceph storage, comparing to the traditional x86 server hardware.Download